Mind-Numbingly Stupid Quotes by Sen. Tom DeLay
1) "So many minority youths had volunteered that there was literally no room
for patriotic folks like myself." --Tom DeLay, explaining at the 1988 GOP
convention why he and vice presidential nominee Dan Quayle did not fight in
the Vietnam War.
2) "Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?" -Tom Delay, to three
young hurricane evacuees from New Orleans at the Astrodome in Houston, Sept.
3) "I AM the federal government." -Tom DeLay, to the owner of Ruth's Chris
Steak House, after being told to put out his cigar because of federal
government regulations banning smoking in the building, May 14, 2003.
4)"I am not a federal employee. I am a constitutional officer. My job is the
Constitution of the United States, I am not a government employee. I am in
the Constitution." -Tom DeLay, in a CNN interview, Dec. 19, 1995.
5) "Nothing is more important in the face of a war than cutting taxes." -Tom
DeLay, March 12, 2003.
6) "Guns have little or nothing to do with juvenile violence. The causes of
youth violence are working parents who put their kids into daycare, the
teaching of evolution in the schools, and working mothers who take birth
control pills." -Tom DeLay, on causes of the Columbine High School massacre,
7) "A woman can take care of the family. It takes a man to provide
structure. To provide stability. Not that a woman can't provide stability,
I'm not saying that... It does take a father, though." -Tom DeLay, in a
radio interview, Feb. 10, 2004.
8) "I don't believe there is a separation of church and state. I think the
Constitution is very clear. The only separation is that there will not be a
government church." -Tom DeLay.
9) "Emotional appeals about working families trying to get by on $4.25 an
hour [the minimum wage in 1996] are hard to resist. Fortunately, such
families do not exist." -Tom DeLay, during a debate in Congress on
increasing the minimum wage, April 23, 1996.
10) "We're no longer a superpower. We're a super-duper power." -Tom DeLay,in
a 2002 interview with Fox News, explaining why America must topple Saddam